Saturday, April 16, 2011

I Am a Writer at Heart

And when I'm not writing or talking about writing, I like to talk to other writers about their writing! It never ceases to fascinate me when I learn about all the different types of writing, writing rituals, and ways of procrastinating that we writerly people engage in.

Although my opinion is clearly biased, I think teenaged writers are doubly interesting. We are a curious lot. There're thousands of different wonderful things that we could be doing in life, yet we choose to labor over a keyboard (or with writing utensil and paper).

What makes teen writers, or any writers for that matter, choose writing over other things? Where do their ideas come from? How do they force themselves to keep at it when they get frustrated? What are they working on now? How'd they get started writing? What are their plans for the future? Do they want to be published? Have they finished your project? When do they think you'll finish? Do they belong to any writers groups? All of this stuff is so much fun to discover.

As a writer myself, I know there are all sorts of different opinions on teenage writers. Some people think we all suck just because we're young. Some people think we're geniuses. It runs to all ends of the spectrum. The truth? We're all writers, regardless of age, and there are good ones and bad ones.



My plan: I want to interview writers! Young, old, beginner, old hand, whatever - I'm curious to know your stories and share them with others. At the moment, I'm working on compiling a list of prospective interviewees, and a list of questions that I'll be asking. If you have any suggestions for questions, people to interview, or even if you want to be interviewed yourself, let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment